Friday, February 28, 2020

Week 7 Story: The King & His Son (Accidental Storybook story)

ACT I: THE KING & HIS SON
FOREST
TRACKING SHOT (LONG)
We see a distinctly large monkey burst through frame, flitting between trees - he arrives at his destination, another monkey, smaller, older
BODHISATTA
Mother, recently I’ve been unable to escape a certain thought, try as I might: Where is my father?
MOTHER
(Hesitantly, she’s not telling the whole story)
He lives at the foot of a mountain as a king among monkeys. Son, please hear this; your father will not welcome this visit. He is consumed by a fear of his throne being usurped and your arrival will do nothing but stoke this paranoia.
BODHISATTA
(Resolutely)
I don’t believe this, surely he will welcome a visit by his child. Mother, take me to him, I’m sure it’s what I must do.
The two set out for the mountain - it’s not a short bit of travel
They arrive.
DEVADATTA
(Upon seeing his son arrive)
Surely you’re mine, as I’ve never seen as stout and sure a monkey in all of my time!
Devadatta rushes to hug his child, although his true motives are hidden
DEVADATTA
My child what has kept you, where have you been lost?
Devadatta embraces Bodhisatta, engaging him like a clamp in order to snap his spine. 
BODHISATTA
I’ve been growing old out in the hinterlands of your kingdom, but I couldn’t bear the thought of not knowing my father. I had to find you.
Bodhisatta returns the intensity of the hug, cracking Devadatta’s ribs.
END OF ACT I
ACT II: THE PLOT
NOW, IN LIGHT OF DEVADATTA’S FEAR OF LOSS AND HIS INABILITY TO OUTMATCH HIS SON IN STRENGTH, HE’S THOUGHT OF A DEVIANT SCHEME
DEVADATTA
Dearest son, I’m growing old and I am not as full of energy as I once was and as you surely are. I feel as though the crown must naturally transfer to you so as to maintain confidence and stability. Today is your day, but first I have a task for you. There’s a lake not far from here, but neither is it close-by, from this lake spout two kinds of water lily, three kinds of blue-lotus, and five kinds of white-lotus. I need you to journey to this lake and bring me some of the plenty growing therein. 
BODHISATTA
(eager to prove his worth)
Absolutely father, this I can surely do for you. 
And so our Bodhisatta sets off to the lake in search of flora and after some time he arrives
BODHISATTA
(spying the peculiarity of the foot tracks near the lake)
Surely it can’t be a matter of coincidence that there exist no return tracks; something is surely off about this lake.
Bodhisatta approaches the lake, tentatively.
BODHISATTA
I know exactly what I must do to attain these plants - I must simply avoid the waters that seem to house such a danger
As such, Bodhisatta leapt and as he flew through the air he snatched two flowers before landing on the opposite bank. This he repeated until he had the correct number of flowers for his father.
Seeing this, the Ogre that dwelt in the lake and had made a living feasting on those who approach his water parted the waters to emerge.
WATER OGRE
(to himself)
Surely I must be mistaken; all these years I’ve yet to see a creature take from my lake without succumbing to my abilities.
The Ogre emerges
WATER OGRE
Oh king of monkeys, you have proven yourself truly unmatched in skill, strength, and wits. One cannot hope to find victory without possession of merely one of these traits and you, great king, have mastery over all three. Why were you in need of the Lily and the Lotus today? 
BODHISATTA
Great Ogre, you seem to have found success within your realm. I am attempting to find success in mine, as my father hopes to hand down his crown to me today, requesting these flowers as final offering.
WATER OGRE
Surely you’re above the setting out on such a path whilst encumbered by flowers. You should not be subject to such laboring, allow me to carry these flowers for you along your way.
The Ogre leaves his land, scoops the flowers from Bodhisatta’s hands, and follows along
END OF ACT II
ACT III: CORONATION
Unbeknownst to Bodhisatta, his father had been observing this task, as be believed it impossible and hoped for his son’s death.
DEVADATTA
Surely it cannot be that my son has made peace with such an Ogre. How could he display such Resource? How did he attain the flowers without touching the water, there could be no such Dexterity. I’ve sent my son to his doom and he returns with doom as a friend, this cannot be beaten down. I cannot contend with such a monkey, I am finished.
The monkey king perished at the utterance of this final sentence, as all he cared about was his worldly title and he knew that was not long for him.

Bodhisatta & The Water Ogre return to the village to find a council convened
BODHISATTA
What is this formation? Where is my father?
COUNCIL MEMBER
Oh great monkey, your father witnessed his plan’s failure and lost his will. In light of this, we’ve chosen you to replace him, as only a great monkey could’ve bested him as you have resoundingly done. 
BODHISATTA
Alas that my meeting my father set in motion his demise. He could not value what we need in life, rather clinging to all that eventually must be found fleeting.
END OF ACT III

Author's Note:
Author's Note: This is my first real foray into a more developed screenplay, as I'm attempting to write these tales in a true three act structure to highlight similarity across the stories. I skipped the context introduction of the root Jataka Tale, wherein the reader sees more of the mother stealing away with her child to ensure its safety. I felt beginning with that would've been all too obvious as it gives the entire arc of the story out of the gate. Again my goal with these screenplays isn't to show mastery, I'm a novice at this, so I am really just hoping to retell these stories in a way that allows for me to learn more about them by spending more time in their word, and also allow the reader to digest the information easily without worrying about language or translation barriers.

Bibliography:
Photo Source:

3 comments:

  1. Hello! I really like the screenplay structures of your stories, and even though you say you're a novice I think they're pretty well done and the unique format makes it interesting. One thing I would say is to change the font color, which currently blends into the background. I had to highlight all of the text to be able to read it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ben,
    Wow is all I can say. It does not strike me at all that you are new to screen writing. I have been a film major for a while, and this is some of the best script writing that I have seen. You definitely brought the characters to life and I could visualize everything that the characters were saying. You definitely have a future in this field, keep it up. I can’t wait to read more of your screenplays.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ben,
    This story was very well done and super unique compared to some of the other stories that I have read! Even though you might be new to the concept I think you did an excellent job of making it readable as well as splitting up the acts. Your little notes on how people were talking like to themselves or with what emotion is also a real nice touch.

    ReplyDelete