Monday, February 3, 2020

Feedback Strategies



Five Reasons to Stop Saying "Good Job!" by Alfie Kohn

This is an interesting article for sure and a lot of it does resonate with me personally; I feel we're setting a tone for kids and because of this we grow up with an incessant need to please others. When we're going through a critical process, the focus of input shouldn't be reward or attack - it should be constructive insight. The goal of editing is improving the body of work, which oftentimes requires the tearing down and altering of what's written, which can't be done if we're so focused on congratulatory writing.



Why Do So Many Managers Avoid Giving Praise? by Jack Zenker and Joseph Folkman

It's reassuring to me to see that 52% of workers polled rated their managers as effective when they gave negative and positive feedback. I'm my time spent working as an economic researcher or as a bicycle mechanic I've dealt with numerous types of managers, and I feel I've learned more from negative feedback than positive. One of my first managers gave no positive feedback and gave an absurd amount of negative feedback (believe it or not I was a good mechanic so this criticism wasn't needed) and the end result of this was that his comments were ultimately ignored because we all knew he wasn't saying anything necessary. The ability of a manager to give criticism and balance this with affirmation is crucial; you can't constantly belittle employees and expect good work, nor can you shower them with congratulations and expect them to improve.



Photo Credit:
Negative Feedback Loop | Source

No comments:

Post a Comment