Wednesday, February 19, 2020

Microfiction: Density




Two-Sentence Story: Social Situation
Stuffed in a crowded space in which people display duality. In crowds everyone acts one way and alone another.

Dribble: Lighthouse
Two souls existing outside of time. First associates, then friends, perhaps more, then the end. In closed sets we see intimacy, however without room we see this turn to paranoia. Secrets kept unilaterally lead to a friendship’s decay.




Author's Note:

For these two short entries I decided to work with the shared theme of isolation despite company. Oftentimes by way of Social Anxiety we find ourselves wanting to be alone when we're not, and then regretting isolation once we've succeeded in it. The first entry is just a little sentiment on the face people put on in parties, oftentimes displaying the best version of themself in order to be an active member of the party. The second entry is a little wrap-up of the move The Lighthouse wherein two people are on an island working as lighthouse operators. Through their time spent in isolation together, and due to the inability to find peace, the two begin turning on each other in very specific ways.



Photo Source:
Times Square | Chensiyuan

3 comments:

  1. Hi Ben! I think that it's cool that you chose the microfiction medium to express isolation. The first one is all too familiar, especially in big cities. Even though we can be surrounded with thousands in other people in one space, everyone is doing their own thing so it's easy to feel alone and forgotten. I think this can also be applied to university life sometimes since it moves so quickly sometimes. The last line of your second story really intrigued me since it's true. Communication is a 2-way street and a lack of communication can really destroy a relationship. Good job!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Ben. This is the first time I have read microfictions from a peer. You did a great job! Your story social situation expresses something that I think about a lot as I walk to class and past other people--we generally all keep to ourselves even though we're all people. I really enjoyed your second story as I have seen Lighthouse the movie. I thought that movie was pretty insane, and I think you did a good job of describing the two main characters in just a few sentences.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ben, I've said it before and I'll say it again: I love reading these microfictions. It's quite possibly my favorite thing about this class! Yours was especially unique, relatable and deep. I actually wrote a paper over loneliness and it being a mental illness that so many college students struggle with. You basically summed up my whole paper in your small paragraph! At a large university like OU, it's so common for us to feel isolated and overwhelmed, but this is a topic I could go on and on about - hence why I did a whole research assignment over it... Looking forward to reading more of your stories, Ben!

    ReplyDelete