Friday, February 7, 2020

Storybook Plan

For this project I'm hoping to adapt the following stories into a more accessible format. I likely won't lean very hard on era change, but rather just make the whole world of the story a bit more palpable. I intend to do this by way of screenplay, as I have with the writing assignments until now. In these retellings I'm trying to study the depiction of monkeys in a few key Jataka tales. The stories I plan on using are TAYODHAMMA-JĀTAKA, VĀNARINDA-JĀTAKA, ĀRĀMADŪSAKA-JĀTAKA, NAḶAPĀNA-JĀTAKA, and SUṀSUMĀRA-JĀTAKA.

I'm thinking this will be a bit more of a thematic link anthology, rather than linked as a singular story or narrator. I'm hoping to focus on the tendency of the monkeys to rely on wisdom and cunning to make the best of their situation. However, one of the stories portrays them as much more simple minded - which will be an interesting case study as it breaks from the norm.








Bibliography:
Jakata Tales

No comments:

Post a Comment