Thursday, January 30, 2020

Week 3 Story: Lament


ACT I: LAMENT
JATAYU AND RAVANA
STILL SHOT OF THE AIR, AS WE PAN OUT
We see arrows launching through the air, and through the frame
WE SEE RAVANA’S CRAFT & JATAYU’S PERCH ON OPPOSITE EXTREMES
RAVANA
Damn ye bird, you shall not find success in your intervention, it is a pursuit in vain
JATAYU
Demon, the pursuit justifies action, the result is justification for drive
Jatayu burst through frame, toward Ravana, destroying his craft - we see Ravana and a woman (Sita) plummet
Upon the ground we see Ravana get the best of the bird, removing his wings - the demon and the woman exit, we linger on the dying bird
FADE TO BLACK.
ISOLATION OF RAMA
EXT. HUT
LONG SHOT EXT. HUT, CENTERED ON HUT, SHOT IN 1.19:1
Outside of hut, absolute silence
Rama leaves hut, enters shot
RAMA
How could this happen? Was it folly to pursue the golden deer? In hopes of winning further favor from my beloved Sita I’ve been met with desolation and sorrow.
(Rama appears fatigued physically, and now we see the deeper level of exhaustion)
RAMA (CONT'D)
Surely Sita has been stolen away, but by whom and to what ends?
Rama returns to the hut
CUT TO:
SHOT CENTERED IN HUT DOORWAY, LOOKING INTO HUT, CENTRALIZED
Rama searches the hut for any indication of who’s responsible
RAMA
(to himself, under breath)
How could I have let myself be lured away by the charm of the deer? Not even as a trophy or a reward for myself, but in a foolish attempt to please my wife.
Rama collapses to the floor, abandoned
Enter Lakshmana
LAKSHAMANA
(distraught upon seeing Rama’s condition)
Rama, awake, brother, don’t let the isolation and grief win out your heart dooming you from recovery and triumph.
RAMA
(defeated)
Oh dear Lakshmana, how can I muster to search when Sita, the source of my motivation, is lost?
LAKSHAMANA
Brother, it’s because she’s lost that you must muster - it is for her you must rally
RAMA
There’s no indication of fate, brother. How are we to know our path?
LAKSHAMANA
There’s no definite path, but we must begin somewhere
Brothers exit hut and begin journeying
FADE TO BLACK.
DISSOLVE TO:
OVERHEAD LONG SHOT OF JATAYU - RECALL THE FIRST SEQUENCE
The brothers enter the clearing and the frame, immediately noticing Jatayu, the brothers rush to him
JATAYU
Lord Rama, Ravana has taken hold of Sita - try as I did they’ve made their egress
RAMA
Mighty Bird, I see your efforts, and I know their toll. In telling me, you’ve saved this hour, but I ask one more question: To what ends did you see them flee?
JATAYU
They hastened towards a structure in the south, a fortress shrouded by the forest, I saw no detail...but now my time is at hand.
In giving this response Jatayu fades from all he’s known, held my Rama
FADE TO BLACK.
END OF ACT I

Author's Note:
In this week's entry, my goal was really to get into greater detail on a specific chapter of the PDE Edition of the Ramayana, specifically, the chapter titled "Rama and Jatayu". There's a lot in this chapter dealing with emotional vulnerability and defeat of the light side, which is something we haven't seen as often. Although this chapter shows that even the losses are slated as being part of the plan, a necessary evil, it's only the gods who are aware of this - our heroes remain defeated and feel the isolation of defeat. My attempt at a detailed screenplay here is motivated by trying to get into the emotions following the abduction of Sita through dialogue. This would come into play more with that specific noted aspect ratio - which would heighten (literally) the sense of isolation of minuteness in their place in the world.

Bibliography:
Public Domain Edition | Valmiki | Ramayana
Photo Credit:
Killing of Jatayu | Artist - Balasaheb Pant Pratinidhi

2 comments:

  1. Hey Ben!
    I really enjoyed your direction you went with your story. It was really fascinating to read it from a more director's viewpoint. I have read a lot of Shakespeare throughout my life, and this style of writing I find almost identical, which makes it easier for me to read. Having experience in this type of writing style is a great bonus for the reader.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Ben! Great story, I haven't read a screenplay version of these traditional stories yet, so I thought it was a unique twist on what I've read so far. I really liked it! I also did this story for the storytelling assignment, but I took a more humorous angle on it, so there's an interesting contrast between our different writing styles.

    ReplyDelete