Friday, January 24, 2020

Topic Brainstorm


Idea I: (Portfolio)

In reading through the summaries I could find online for The Golden Mongoose: Tales of Duty from the Mahabharata I've found that the three stories therein sound pretty neat. These tales deal with complex issues: self-awareness, contentedness, sacrifice, relinquishing material holds. I believe all of these could very well translate to short stories or screenplays and all of these themes translate to modern contexts extremely well. I've not decided whether screenplays are the most efficient way to transpose these themes, which is my goal; I'll have to spend more time thinking specifically on effectiveness in writing.  These themes all interest me greatly because of their versatility.

Idea II: (Portfolio) *

I believe composing a portfolio consisting of stories from the Jakata's Monkey Stories could be an interesting and applicable work. These stories are varied, but seem to all hinge around ethics, and the role of wisdom in ethical dilemmas, which I think is very interesting. I believe these stories could all transfer to varying contexts quite well, and in that ease of transition greater applications could be found. The struggles outlined therein are very releatable when recontextualized, and because of that I believe it would be a rewarding process to retell these tales.

Idea III: (Portfolio) 

Another potential idea is to read through as many of these tales as possible, isolating instances of wit versus weight and explore the concept of outwitting opponents. This is a trope in western cinema, and could very easily be applied to instances of daily life in a relatable way. I'd initially read through Jackal Stories, before reading Bird Stories, then potentially The Deadly Feast. Before retelling these stories in a more accessible way.

Idea IV: (Portfolio)

Finally, I've wondered about the instances of friendship throughout these classic stories, and the role friendship plays in watershed moments. I'm unsure of which stories through which I'd read to build the foundation for this project other than Friends and Foes, and How Friends Are Parted. Should I be able to find more stories built around this topic, or with this topic playing a substantive role therein, I believe this would be a fun research project as it is extremely relevant to us all - as core friendship is something I should hope we all know, and know the weight thereof. Friendships are often more impactful than familial relationships and the development of such friendships is a major component of maturation. So, finding instances of this in older writings is always interesting.



Photo Credit:
Cover Image The Golden Mongoose|amartchitrakatha

No comments:

Post a Comment