Wednesday, January 15, 2020

Introductions


Howdy all! My name is Ben Fillmore. I am a graduate student in the Economics department, with a film minor. I chose Economics because it does a fantastic job of preparing its students for the workforce in a variety of capacities; the manner of thinking required and solidified by Economics establishes students in the world of critical thought quite well. My current studies have transitioned into a Masters in Data Science, which is a natural progression from Economics as it applies the theories and principles learned therein to the real world in a very calculated way. I've enjoyed my time in Data Science as it really breaks down how we see the world into very manageable and quantifiable methods. Last semester I took a class titled - "Statistics for Decision Making" and I thoroughly enjoyed this course. It did an excellent job of exploring how to model the world and better understand its operations. I believe my biggest accomplishment of the semester was opening grad school strongly, while planning my wedding, which truly took some time. Consequently, over break I traveled to Austin (My Favorite Place) and married my best friend, which had been a long time coming. This trip serves as the perfect segue to talking about a few of my main interests, as I opened the trip by getting down south before my fiance, and spending some time with my groomsmen. This pseudo-bachelor party was spent primarily either in front of a television or a rock wall. Which leads to my next section, the bulk of which will be discussing my favorite books, movies, music, and hobbies - as all were present this bachelor week. 

Potentially my favorite long-form narrative television show is titled The Leftovers (HBO, 2014-2017). This show is built around the consequences of 2% of the world's population suddenly and mysteriously vanishing. The Leftovers follows protagonist Kevin Garvey and his struggle to find definition, clarity, and purpose in the years following the "Sudden Departure". It's a masterpiece of emotional turbulence, isolation, and grief; so it seemed only natural to marathon it in two days with my closest friends. We then turned to the task of a single day marathon of the Extended Edition of The Lord of The Rings (Peter Jackson, 2001-2003). This is a mission I've undertaken with my closest friends on a few occasions and never does it disappoint. We quickly followed this marathon with another; the rapid completion of season one of True Detective (HBO, 2014). These undertakings represent my favorite films, television shows, and books - as I'm now entering my 13th year of annual Lord of the Rings readings and I have yet to regret a single moment of it. However, as an individual who must be constantly busy for fear of silence, I'm also currently averaging 1.3 movies per day for the year 2020. My favorite movie I've seen recently was likely A Hidden Life (Terrence Malick, 2019). My top movies for 2019 in order are The Lighthouse (Robert Eggers, 2019), Parasite (Bong Joon Ho, 2019), and A Hidden Life. As far as music goes, I tend to lean the Folk direction; primarily listening to Andrew Bird, Father John Misty, and Willie Watson - although recently I've leaned pretty heavily on James Blake. This time in Austin was quite ideal, as it afforded me the chance to do what I love with people I love. This transitions nicely into my more active hobbies - first of which is bouldering. I'm afraid I fell for the consumerist trap of watching the film Free Solo (Chai Vasarhelyi and Jimmy Chin, 2018) and falling in love with the sport of climbing. Although this film focuses more on big wall climbing, in which I've only dabbled, it is arguably the greatest sporting achievement to date. I believe if I had a free day, with which to do whatever I may choose, I'd go to Joshua Tree for bouldering.

Professionally, I aim to work in either marketing strategy or data science, as both apply economic theory and coding in a very hands on way, which interests me. My wife and I both strongly desire to live in Austin, and as such will likely be moving there within the next 4 years. We have a pet cat named Gus (Asparagus). I will make an effort to include Gus pictures in some capacity down the road. My wife admittedly doesn't do a ton of cooking, but we're currently work-shopping some crock-pot recipes for days when I'm in class extensively. I've been practicing cooking traditional Japanese recipes, and currently am enamored with the process of cooking Shoyu Ramen. I tend to spend altogether too much money on cookbooks and will likely need help down the road to end this purchasing habit. I believe this concludes my introductory post- I'm excited to speak with you all as the class progresses, godspeed.

Pictures:
(1) Boulder in Virginia State Park | flickr
(2) 'el capitan dares you' | djandym (flickr)
(3) gus | original

28 comments:

  1. Oh my gosh: THAT PICTURE, Ben! It is amazing! I didn't even know "bouldering" was a word. That is very cool. And congratulations on getting married! That is a serious life accomplishment for over the break! I'm thinking that being into LotR (which ruled my life in junior high back in the 1970s) is a good harbinger for this class. I don't think Tolkien knew much about India... but how cool it would have been if he had blended Indian mythology into his world the way that he did Norse and other European mythologies. Maybe you can do some LotR/India mash-up writing for this class! So, yay for weddings, data, boulders, LotR, cats, ramen, all the good things. I am curious to see which of those things will help you start making connections with the epics of India!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Ben!
    Nice to meet you! First of all, congrats on making it into grad school and starting it off strong! I have grad school in my near future so I hope it goes as well as yours is! Also, I honestly can't believe that you watched the entire extended edition of LotR in ONE DAY! (I had to look it up and geez dude, 11 hours??). I have had some friends try to do that and I just don't think I could sit still that long. But I have always loved the LotR movies, especially because my dad would read The Hobbit as my bedtime story, even if I wouldn't sit and watch the Extended cuts for 11 hours! But on bouldering, I can definitely recommend Joshua Tree as a great destination. I went there with my brother and we hiked all throughout that park. It is beautiful and I don't think people talk about it enough. On that note, good luck with finishing the first year of grad school!
    -Daniel

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Ben!
    I really enjoyed getting to know you throughout your introduction post. I respect the amount of movies you watch, as I tend to watch a lot of tv shows, especially Criminal Minds, throughout the day. I really like HBO so I would like to look into a few of these movies you said you loved. That Shoyu Ramen sounds delicious I am sure your wife enjoys it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Ben!

    I have a few friends who are very into climbing here at OU and as such I've gotten into it a little bit, so I can understand your enjoyment of the sport. Free Solo definitely had that effect on a lot of people, but there are worse things to pick up as hobbies than climbing. I've also been to Austin a few times with friends and can agree that it would be a cool place to live. Last but certainly not least, congratulations on getting married, that's an incredible accomplishment. Good luck with finishing your first year of grad school!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Ben!

    I'm going to agree with some others on here, I love that picture! I've wanted to get into rock climbing, but I'm not brave enough to try free climbing or bouldering lol. I commend you for watching the extended editions of LOTR. I've tried it once, and I didn't even make it past the first movie (so much walking).
    Good luck on the rest of the semester and congrats on your wedding!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Ben!
    Congrats on getting married! I love the bouldering picture too. I've always thought climbing was really fun even though I'm terrified of heights. I also really like Austin and it's one of the places I'm considering moving to after I graduate. I almost went to school there but the University there is really just terrible. Enjoy your semester!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Ben! Your picture and the format of your blog is definitely really eye catching. It's super creepy, kind of reminds me of The Haunting of Hill House. One thing I really like is how you included links to topics of interest in your Introduction post, it really shows that you took time to craft it. I'm kind of curious why you chose traditional Japanese food to cook!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. right on, that's a good show. I think I got interested in Japanese food initially just because of how clean it is; it's either very healthy and minimalist or just the coziest food imaginable - what's not to love?

      Delete
  8. Hi Ben! Congrats on the wedding! I also watched Parasite a few months ago and it was INSANE! I went in knowing nothing about the movie and it definitely took me for a ride. Now it's an Oscar-winning movie!It's super cool that you're studying economics in grad school. I'm not a really familiar with economics, so maybe you could tell me a thing or two. That picture is so haunting, but it's a great shot. The clouds hanging over the mountain is so ominous, but it's breathtaking at the same time. Nature can be contradictory like that sometimes though. Good luck with the class!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hah, anytime, it's a daunting subject at first for sure, but once you've found footing it's a really interesting time and a great worldview

      Delete
  9. Hi Ben. Congratulations on your wedding and your successful start to graduate school! I'm impressed that you've watched Lord of the Rings so many times. Would you say you enjoy the books or the movies better? I loved the movie free solo, I have been more interested in climbing because of it as well but I wasn't quite sure how to get started. Bouldering seems like an exciting way to jump in. I love Father John Misty! I want to check out those other artists you listed to see if I would perhaps like those as well. Best of luck as you continue your journey.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. howdy howdy, that's a tough one for sure. I think I like the books more; the movies are amazing obviously, but the books do such a great job of putting the reader in the world, so many little details, it's a more powerful experience I'd say.

      Get to the Summit in Norman, it's a super chill environment for learning to climb, everyone is super welcoming.

      Delete
  10. Hey Ben! Congrats on getting married! That is an awesome accomplishment as I'm sure you know. Lord of the Rings is one of my favorite movie series and I still remember the first time I watched it as a kid. Being from Dallas I have a lot of friends that went to school in Austin including my brother and it is an awesome city. Best of luck this semester!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hello again! After visiting your microfiction about isolation in crowds and now reading your mini autobiography, I definitely noticed the movie trend going on... and I thought I was a movie guru! I'm definitely going to have to come to you for movie recommendations. The fact that you spent a lot of your bachelor week doing movie marathons is truly one of a kind. Your hobbies, interests, and the way you spend your days sounds so... comfortable (if that gets my point across) - but that's a good thing. You seem to be enjoying life to its fullest and I respect that.

    side note: I'm a heavy food junkie, so if you ever need some tips or recs on what's good and where to find it, feel free to let me know. There's way cool places for ramen tastings. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. anytime, movies are definitely how I spend the bulk of my time and I'm always down to give and get recs. I'll take comfortable! Normally I just get told "boring", so comfort is a step up I'd say. I'll gladly take any Norman/okc food recs you've got

      Delete
  12. Hi Ben!

    It was great getting to know more about you. I always find it interesting learning about the lives of other people. First, congratulations on getting married! I think its mind boggling that I’m at an age where some people are married and others are still in high school. Second, you’ve sparked in interest in me to try rock climbing. I know they have a rock climbing wall at Sarkey’s but I’ve never done it. I love working out so I’m open to new ideas on staying fit. Lastly, you’re major sounds so interesting and would love to read more about what your curriculum consists of. I’m a science and all of my friends are as well so I don’t ever hear about Economic majors. Plus, you sound passionate about it so I hope that everything works out for you and your wife!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hey Ben!

    Rock Climbing has always been very interesting to me. Just like you I saw Hope Solo and was instantly interested in rock climbing. Sadly to admit the only rock climbing I have actually done is just the fake walls. I just recently got interested in cooking so it's always cool to see someone else interested in the same stuff you are.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hello Ben,
    You're the one who always starts off your comments by saying "Howdy" on people's blog posts, aren't you? The cowboy himself. Never heard of a married cowboy before, but hey, first time for everything. You couldn't pay me enough to go free hand rock climbing like that; knowing my luck, I'd fall and bust my head open. Austin, Texas is your favorite place? Why? Looking forward to reading your writing this semester.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hi Ben,
    Congratulations on getting married! That’s so exciting. And to your best friend as well?! How lucky you are. I’ve never watched the show The Leftovers, but I did see the trailer one time. It had this background song I really liked, and I spent multiple hours that day trying to figure out the song. Turns out it was Retrograde by James Blake. So yeah, I’ll have to actually watch the show sometime. Ima be a therapist when I grow up, so when you need help ending your cookbook buying habits hmu.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hi Ben! Congratulations on the wedding! I think your pursuit of a Masters in Data Science is a great match for the location where you and wife want to live - Austin, Texas! I know that there are a lot of tech companies in Austin as it is a growing tech hub in the country. That being said, there are probably many companies there looking for data scientists. Anyway, good luck with your masters and it was great meeting you!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hi Ben,
    I really liked your introduction. Congrats on your marriage! I think Austin would be such a cool place to live. My cousin's girlfriend lives there so he goes down there all the time! Your movie "challenge" sounds fun. I didn't use to be super into movies but as the years have passed I have started to love them. My family will most likely be at the movies on the weekends so we are big movie fans.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Ben,

    I'm always a little surprised when I find such interesting people so late in the semester! When I commented on your story, I mentioned that I really liked your choice of language. I now see that such complex language is due mostly to your personality. Reading your introduction, I'd have assumed you were and English or Letters major simply because of your word choice.
    Congratulations on getting married! As a junior, a relationship step as large as that seems so daunting, but I liked how you phrased it as marrying your best friend. That's adorable and really highlights your happiness.
    The picture of you rock climbing is terrifying. Are you sure you're not related to Spiderman? Jokes aside, that's an awesome talent/hobby. I'm not brave enough to do bouldering without any sort of harness.
    It's nice to meet you!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Ben! So glad to see you're back and doing well! Congrats on getting married and starting your grad classes. While I'm not quite at 1.3 movies a day, I'd say I'm pretty close to 1. My fiance graduated as a film major, so we spend a lot of time watching movies too. Good luck on finishing strong in this very very weird semester and I'm sure we'll catch up soon enough!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Hey Ben!
    Congrats on getting married! I bet that is a great feeling. Your master sounds interesting for sure and its nice to see someone else have a film minor, even though mines a major ha. I have to agree that the movies and shows you listed are probably some of the best to ever grace the screen. Hope this semester goes well for you in this weird time.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Hi Ben!

    That picture of you is so cool! I have a few friends here on the climbing team here too so I can see the draw of climbing up something like that. One good place to scramble in the area is the Wichita Mountains. They have this pile of boulders up the side and its not too much of a challenge but you still need to pay attention as there are holes and such. I would recommend it if you get the chance

    ReplyDelete
  22. Hey Ben! First off, your writing is phenomenal. Do you write a lot? I feel like you are very good with words and how you tell stories. Also, I LOVE ramen! I discovered actual Japanese ramen 3 years ago and I've been hooked since. In Norman, I eat at a restaurant called Tatsumaki that is known for it's ramen. I recommend that you try it out but there's definitely better places in OKC!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Hello Ben,
    Your cat Gus has something in common with my pet hamster- his name is Corn Bread, Corn for short. What is it about naming animals after food that amuses people so much? I've never gone bouldering before. With my luck, I'd get right to the top and fall in some splendidly macabre way. If I die, I'd rather it not be at the mercy of a rock. Your description of your bachelor week made me chuckle. That's an awful lot of time spent marathoning LOTR; that might be the most innocent bachelor party I've ever heard of. I'm sure your fiance was elated!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Hi Ben!
    Although AP econ was not my strong suit, that is great that you have pursued this degree. I agree that it is crucial for college students to chose areas of studies that are directly applicable to areas of interest careers. It sounds like you are a big movie watcher, hence your film minor. I've been wanting to see Parasite. I heard it was amazing. Good luck with everything during this pandemic!

    ReplyDelete