Thursday, January 23, 2020

Week 2 Story: Terminal


ACT I: CLEARANCE
SECURITY
OVERHEAD SHOT
We see many travelers lining the various pathways through airport security and its levels of convenience
CUT TO:
MEDIUM SHOT DOWN THE CONVEYOR BELT THROUGH WHICH POSSESSIONS PASS
We see a man take out his laptop, powered by a lithium battery - leaning into frame, a man stares at the battery confounded by its presence
CUT TO:
MEDIUM-LONG SHOT CENTERED BETWEEN TSA AGENT AND THE CONFUSED MAN
CLARK
(To nearby TSA Agent)
You aren’t going to let him get that through security, right?
AGENT #1
Sir, if anything appears out of order we’ll address it. Now, please get back behind that line.
CLARK
Ok I’ll wait, I just wouldn’t want something to happen because you weren’t doing your job
AGENT #1
(silence, Agent is clearly holding back some select words for Clark)
CLARK
It’s just that I heard lithium was volatile, you know, dangerous - like it shouldn’t be allowed on planes that you want to land..
AGENT #1
Sir, I’m beginning to feel threatened by you - I’m going to need you to follow my colleague here (beckons to nearby TSA Agent)
AGENT #2
Everything alright Rob?
AGENT #1
Not quite, Dale, I’m going to need you to take this gentl-
(interrupting)
CLARK
Clark Peters, thank you, and everything is fine you don’t need to take me anywhere
Agents 1 & 2 aren’t convinced by this
Agent #2 leads Clark away
By this time, the gentleman and his lithium-powered laptop are easily through security
FADE TO BLACK.
BOARDING
We see a long line trailing into the plane
Clark bustles up to the back of the line, late from his encounter with TSA
CLARK
(out of breath, exasperated)
Thank god, that was a close one, damn TSA detaining me instead of that lunatic with the lithium battery even after I alerted them to it, no good deed I guess.
DISSOLVE TO:
TRACK AS CLARK WALKS DOWN AISLE TO SEAT
DISSOLVE TO:
TRACK CLARK’S POV AS HE SEEMS TO BE THREATENED BY EVERYONE HE PASSES
Clark finds then occupies his seat, he’s alarmed to see his lithium adjacent rival not two rows up and caddy-corner
Clark drifts off to sleep
FADE TO BLACK.
Clark dreams of turbulence, which then causes the bin to open and the lithium battery powered laptop to tumble out - to the ill fate of all those aboard the flight - he’s scared - he jolts awake
FADE IN:
LONG FIXED SHOT DOWN THE AISLE
We see Clark burst into the frame in a panic
CLARK
(gripped with fright)
Everyone grab that man! (point to the known adversary) He’s going to get us all!
Frenzy ensues, as expected when a man screams of danger on a plane
Clark’s fellow passengers accost the man, tackling him and restraining him
CLARK
Where is your bag? Where’s the “battery”?
POOR SAP
It’s in the overhead! Why are you doing this? It’s just a laptop?
CLARK
This could’ve all been avoided if the TSA had listened to me in the first place! You, they, everyone left me no choice!
At this point the crowd is perplexed, but emotions are still high
CLARK
I won’t fail these people like the system has!
Clark tears open the overhead bin, unaware that objects may have shifted in flight - the man’s laptop with its worrisome battery crashes to the floor - there’s a moment of pensive silence, then
CLARK
Now.. Every one
The crowd turns, everyone hauls down the aisle towards the front, the back, anywhere other than adjacent the battery
At this point the captain has officially exited the cockpit and hell hath no fury
The captain storms towards the crowd
CAPTAIN BERGER
What is this? Why is everyone acting like this?
PASSENGER #1
We’re doomed!
PASSENGER #2
That guy brought a bomb on board!
PASSENGER #3
Yeah! And then the other guy armed it! He’s going to set it off
The captain storms down the aisle through the crowd until he’s met with Clark
CAPTAIN BERGER
What’s all this about you arming a bomb?
CLARK
I didn’t! I’m saving us from him!
At this point the unfortunate gentleman is tied to a chair
CAPTAIN BERGER
Looks like he’s the one who needs saving there, boss
CLARK
No, he put us all in danger!
CAPTAIN BERGER
With a “bomb”?
CLARK
Might as well be, he brought a lithium battery aboard your flight, sir! The TSA ignored me when I warned them, I had to handle it myself.
CAPTAIN BERGER
Sir, lithium is entirely safe, you’re thinking of *Hydrogen*
CLARK
I..you..how did I get those mixed up again? I’m such a fool.
CAPTAIN BERGER
You’re definitely not the sharpest, I’m going to have to report you when this flight lands.
CLARK
I think that would be best.
Everyone fizzles out, tempers reduce, everyone takes their seats once again - the flight continues on its way.
FADE OUT.
TRACK CLARK OUT OF THE PLANE, FLANKED BY THE CAPTAIN
CAPTAIN BERGER
Why did you start all this to begin with?
CLARK
I guess I let my fears get the best of me. I didn’t ever stop to think about whether or not I was spiraling, or panicking.
CAPTAIN BERGER
That’s dangerous, son; when you act without thinking you might cause a stampede
PANS OUT, HOLDS ON CLARK BEING TAKEN AWAY BY THE TSA
FADE TO BLACK.
FINISH

Author's Note:
This is very much a retelling of the story titled The Foolish, Timid Rabbit by Ellen C. Babbitt. I ran through that tale again recently, pulling the general summary, but more importantly the thematic pacing. I wanted to have the same message, but in a different format and in a more modern context. I thought that the closed environment of a flight would work well for the quick dissemination of information and the subsequent panic.

Bibliography:
The Foolish, Timid Rabbit|source|Ellen C. Babbitt
Photo Credit:
Lithium - Periodic Table|source|wiki-commons "me"

3 comments:

  1. Hi Ben!

    I love this modern retelling of The Foolish, Timid Rabbit. I've taken this approach with my stories too, attempting to modernize and even highlight the ridiculousness of some of the tales, and I've found that it works well. A flight seems like the optimal setting for this story too, as many people are either personally aware or are aware through media of the panic that can be caused on a flight.

    I also liked how you wrote it like a play. This was certainly a take I haven't seen before and hope you will continue to use that method, as it's refreshing and fun to read.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Ben!
    I love the approach you took to the retelling of the story. I liked that you made it modern, and you made it look like a play/script. I feel like it speaks to modern concerns and themes! Like group think and causing a panic for no reason. It keeps the theme of the original story, but it also kinda of adds a new theme. Also, I'm not used to seeing story telling like that, so it was refreshing and well done!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Ben!
    I love where you took this story, I never would have thought to write 'The Foolish, Timid Rabbit' into a TSA/airport scene. Your choices for dialogue are also really funny and once again, your screenplay style is really interesting to read. One thing I would say is to include spaces between the lines and the next person speaking, as it is right now it all runs together and can be confusing to read.

    ReplyDelete