Tuesday, January 21, 2020

Week 2 Reading Overview


For the upcoming readings of the Ramayana, I've chosen to go with the Public Domain Edition. This edition of the Ramayana uses more antiquated and formal diction, which I find appealing as it is closer to the original intended format.

I believe I'm most interested in the comics centered around the tale of Rama as it seems to have the largest scale of concern. As this story has the largest scope, I believe it would transfer into the largest variety of potential retellings or short stories. Further, I'm interested in tale of Hakka and Bukka. This story appears to be fairly grim, layered, and beautiful. I believe the tale of Hakka and Bukka may lend itself to some heavy  modern applications, which is what I hoped for from this class as it were.

I'm curious to learn more about individuals from this culture who worked more for religious interconnectedness and awareness, such as Swami Vivekananda. In this particular culture I'm more curious about the extremes; the idea of total bellicose nature contrasted with complete acceptance and patience is very appealing to me. Extremes in writing generally appeal to me. Tolkien is definitely my favorite author; a major component of his writings is complexity in character study. I feel this genre provides opportunity for such complexity - seen in situations as Shiva testing Arjuna or Ravana disguising himself as a hermit.

















Photo Credit:
1) Valmiki's Ramayana Illustration | source
2) Demon King Ravana | Henryart

No comments:

Post a Comment