Thursday, January 16, 2020

Growth Mindset




I hadn't previously heard of the 'Growth Mindset' formally. The principles held therein are something I personally adhere to, but I hadn't known of an official classification. I'd first begun thinking in this style when I swam competitively in high school; swimming is a very precise sport, where the angle of one's hand upon entry into the water can result in a win or loss. I had to use the concept of learning from mistakes rather than laboring over them in order to sustain my passion for the sport, and this mentality allowed me to constantly evolve in sport, without becoming demoralized or depressed following weaker performances.

I believe my biggest recurring issue with learning is insecurity; I consistently fail to ask questions when there is need, out of a fear for looking less intelligent than my classmates. This insecurity prevents me from being on sure footing in class, even when there is stability within reach. I do believe I'll do my best to study this way of thinking more consistently in an effort to convince myself to be more involved in class when necessary. I think it's interesting that Carol Dweck believes confidence in early schooling should likely be replaced with more rigor, but I do personally agree. Oftentimes confidence means stagnation, so the mentality of constantly being challenged is appealing as it would indicate constant evolution.





Photo Credit:
Sara Rucker | Pinterest

No comments:

Post a Comment