Friday, March 13, 2020

Week 9 Story: Allegiances



SINGLE ACT: KUNTI & KARNA
INT.
In times of strife mankind defines itself; individual’s truest selves emerge to be welcomed or scorned. This is no different than the turmoil Karna felt on the eve of his battle with Arjuna. As Karna steeled himself mentally and physically, preparing for such warring, his mother, Kunti, sought him out in hopes of changing his perspective.
INTERIOR TENT - DIMLY LIT - KRISHNA ENTERS
KRISHNA
Karna, if you accompany me back to the Pandava camp and we speak to the brothers together they’ll surely not find you wanting. They simply don’t understand your role in all of this; if you explain they’ll yield to you.
KARNA
I cannot simply abandon those who rely upon my words out of some thin hope for reconciliation with those who neither want nor seek reconciliation. Leaving Duryodhana now would end our counsel and our friendship.
KRISHNA
Not at all, these are wise men - even if tempers are high and the Pandavas are full of vitriol they’ll be made to understand. Karna..
KARNA
Enough, what you speak of is desertion, it’s folly, it’s weak. There is no sense in my abandoning my role here for the potential of a lesser post in a weaker, unformed empire.
KRISHNA
They’ll make you king if they learn of your lineage.
KARNA
Even if they yield to me, even if they cede the throne to me, history will remember me as a lesser Arjuna. I’ll go down in the annals of time as a pretender. The records of me will not show this; I will meet Arjuna on the field and our clash will display some level of providence. Our struggle will establish dominance, it will be decided who is stronger, neither will yield. Now, Krishna, our time together must come to an end. If we’re lucky we’ll meet again soon - our forms may be earthly or celestial, but regardless we shall meet again soon.
KRISHNA
Truly, Karna, you’re stronger than what is known and stronger than what will be remembered.
The two embrace, their respect for each other is obvious, but they cannot remain together as this struggle does indeed drive a wedge between even friends


Author's Note:
I set out to write this specific exchange because I think this episode of the Mahabharata is amazing. The dialogue between Krishna and Karna is easily one of the more powerful moments in this epic, as we see both men so entirely vulnerable. They're explaining in as many words their need to be recognized, but this need for recognition and love drives a wedge. We see Krishna appeal to Karna in an attempt to prevent the battle between him and Arjuna, as it would be such a senseless loss of greatness if even one of them were to fall, but because of that respective greatness Karna feels he must go to war, if for nothing else than to prove himself. The fear of being in Arjun's shadow beats his risk of death and so he goes to war. I expanded this conversation some from the original telling and hopefully it communicates effectively how important this exchange is to the unfolding of the epic.

Bibliography:
Mahabharata
Photo Source:
Krishna & Karna

3 comments:

  1. Hi Ben! I really liked the way you wrote this story! I haven't seen anyone else do a script for one of their stories, so this was super fun to read! I'm doing something similar for my storybook since I'm doing an interview format, but I like that your story made me feel like I was watching a show. It gave me an opportunity to see the scene unfold and imagine the characters as "actors" in a scene. I also like how you show the vulnerability of the two characters in this scene without explicitly sharing their feelings and allowing the reader to read within the lines. Good job!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ben,

    This reads like a play. It's completely different from any other story I've read this semester, but I like it. The fact that your story is set up like a play helps justify the fancy, elaborate language you chose to use. You could have easily chosen to use simpler, every-day language, but choosing words like "indeed," "strife," and "reconciliation" adds a nice layer of culture and complexity to the story. I also know that I didn't place a great emphasis on this interaction while reading the Mahabharata. Seeing this conversation focused on made me realize how important it truly is. Great story!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ben, happy to see you're also continuing your screenplay style writing in your other stories! After reading your project, I was hoping I'd get to see more. Reading your version of this story turned into a screenplay actually makes it much easier to follow (to me at least) than the original. Keep it up!

    ReplyDelete